One of the topics that has popped up on the discussion board this week is Google's many applications and their application potential in education. As a high school teacher at a VoTech school, I get students from sending districts in every corner of Morris County. This creates a huge diversity in my school - something to celebrate. However, my students face a challenge when it comes to collaborating their work and "meeting up" after school to work on group projects or study together. This is where Google Docs comes in - and has been a savior! It is so easy to use, plus most of my high school level students know it already. It is a living document, can be public of private to only "shared" contacts, and has most basic features that Microsoft Word does.
Google Docs also has huge application in peer tutoring or teacher help at home.
In fact, if you happen to be Google app clueless, I created a how-to screencast for an earlier NJCU class. It covers both the basics of Google Docs and Google Sites. I thought I would share it.
Google Docs and Sites
Google Sites is also great because it ,too, is free and easy to use. I use Google Sites for both my homework webpage and for my biology class website (all class materials/supplements).
My school adopted a school-wide gmail account and every teacher and student have an @mcvts.org email account under the Google umbrella. It is wonderful to be able to open my gmail and quickly email one student or a whole class. Everything is saved right there! Also, gmail users can log in to "chat". I make myself available on Google chat for a set time the night before a test. Students know they can log in and have a virtual help session with me and ask questions.
That's great that you are willing to take time at home and chat with your students. A true sign of a good and dedicated teacher
ReplyDeleteGreat tutorial! I will definitely use it since I am not all too familiar with Google Docs. It's been something I've been meaning to get to know more! Thanks.
ReplyDelete