I would like to start off by saying that I am bias to these two pieces of technology - I have 100% mac blood running through me - so all Apple technology is elite in my eyes :). For those of you that do not own an iTouch (or iPad, I prefer the compact nature of the touch, however), you should really consider getting one. This little device does it all - except make phone calls (in which case, you COULD get something that does it all with the iPhone). I use my iTouch to play games, as a calculator/organizer, to jot notes, listen to music at the gym or watch movies on a car ride. Not to mention there are countless apps available for download, many of which are free. There is a growing trend (in schools where money is available) of iTouch and iPad use in the classroom. I must admit, when I first heard that our school was getting a set of 30 iTouches available in the Media Center for signout, I was confused. I have students who use their iTouch to record homework, shoot an email, or do a quick internet search with them in class.... but beyond that, where is the educational value?

While standing the Media Center on duty, I bumped into a gym teacher at my school who was there to sign out the iTouches. I thought, what on earth could he be doing with them? I had to ask. He showed me an app he had found on the iTouch called iFitness. The app allowed the user to calculate their BRR (Basal Metabolic Rate) to figure out their needed daily caloric intake. The app also allowed users to log foods they ate (it even had brand name foods and specific dishes at chain restaurants!). After inputting the food and the quantity, it logged the calories in the student daily logs. The students were also able to input exercises (including intensity and duration) and these calories would be deducted from the daily total... It was a really cool way to teach the students fitness and nutrition.

I started thinking where else we could integrate these technologies and I found this website. If you scroll down, you can click the specific subject area you are looking for, and it will provide a list of potential applications for use in that subject. Anyways, though it was cool - let me know if you find something good that might work for you.
I am not a mac user but I do have a itouch that I won it at a gift auction. I used it so much when I first got it. I used the weightwatcher app, calendar, and of course music player but now... I upgraded my cellphone to an android and I can do all of the same thesame things and more without having to change all my music format in itunes.
ReplyDeleteI think having the technology of ipad, or anything similar, available to classes is a great way to teach in a new and exciting fashion. Thanks for the resource!