
Skype has got to be one of the coolest, easy-to-use, (not to mention free) communication services. I personally have never used Skype for educational purposes. However, I started to brainstorm and research on this thought. Would it be cool if some of our online discussions for NJCU courses could be Skype sessions instead of discussion posts on a board? The downside of this is the time constraint - everyone would have to be available all at once... and this i part of the reason why many people take online courses, because with crazy schedules, they know this is not an option for them.
I asked a few of my colleagues if they have ever use Skype for teaching... it was uncommon among responses, but a Spanish teacher responded with enthusiasm. "Of course, this tool makes for great online review sessions before a test!" She told me the review sessions were optional, but part of their tests were to complete an oral portion. Something that can't be practiced without the ear of the expert teacher! :)
What about having kids having "pen pals" in another country for a language class - but instead of writing - Skyping!

The Library Media Specialist also reminded me that she sets up "Skype with an Expert" sessions after school - I completely forgot. She contacts various professionals from all different lines of work. The students can sign up to stay after school in the LMC conference room, where she sets up the SMARTBoard with Skype and projects the session. The kids can ask questions to real adults who are in field they might be interested in. What a great experience for our students.
Skype is also available on most smart phones, too - free of charge. You don't even have to be at your computer. I'm sure there are countless possibilities for education purposes for this tool.
Picture reference
No comments:
Post a Comment